How to get out of debt
What happens if I can’t pay a debt?
There are various options open to you when you can’t pay a debt. So rather than panic and ignore things, it’s best to deal with the problem head-on. Read on to find out more!
Do you have to pay?
There are ways to have debt written off in the UK.
If you genuinely can’t afford your debt repayments then looking into whether you could have your payments lowered or written off might be just what you need.
If you want to find out whether you qualify for having debt written off or payments lowered then fill out the short form below.
How can I get out of debt?
You may be able to get out of debt in various ways. For example, you could wipe some of the debt off altogether. However, choosing the right debt solution is essential because the wrong one could make you worse off.
For example, if you get it wrong you may end up with a debit on your bank statement you know nothing about.
How can I get out of debt with no money?
A debt management program could help you get out of debt if you have no money. That and help from a friend or family member are worth considering. Another route worth considering is applying for a debt consolidation loan for bad credit if you have a limited income but no savings.
Can you lower your repayments?
If you’re struggling to pay back your debt, then you might qualify for a debt solution.
Some solutions lower your monthly payments while others write off a portion of your debt.
To find out whether they could work in your situation, hit the button below.
How do I clear debt quickly?
The fastest way to clear debt is known as an ‘avalanche method’. You’ll have to list all your debts with the highest to lowest interest rates in that order.
Then make sure you make the minimum payment on each. After this, any funds left over can be used to pay the debt with the highest interest rate. By doing this every month, you’ll quickly reduce the amount of debt you have.
The one thing you shouldn’t do is sell a car that’s on finance to get out of debt because it could land you in more trouble.
What is a debt collector?
A debt collector works for a collection agency. The company they work for may have purchased a debt, or they could be working on behalf of a customer. They contact you to recover money you owe which has gone unpaid. It could be a council tax debt that’s owed or something else!
How can I beat debt collectors?
You can’t really beat debt collectors. But you can make them work for their money. For instance, is the debt too old to enforce? Or you ask them to prove the debt is yours. It’s a request debt collectors are duty-bound to respect.
Also, if a debt collector acts unlawfully or they harass you in any way, it could be grounds to report them and have the debt quashed.
Why not check out our posts on specific debt collection agencies to find a company that’s chasing you for payment owed to them or one of their customers?
- What is Debit Finance PLC IP on Bank Statement? Debt Scam?
- How to Appeal NCO Europe Debt Collection
- How to Not Pay Council Tax Legally – Who is Exempt?
- Bristow and Sutor Contacting Me About Debt – How to Appeal
- How to Spot IVA Companies to Avoid – Don’t Get Trapped
- 2 Legal IVA Loopholes in the UK – What Can You Do?
- Should I Pay or Ignore EON Debt Collection Agency?
- How Long Can Gas Company Leave You Without Heating & Hot Water
- How to Get a Debt Management Plan While Renting
- Appeal or Pay Klarna Debt Collection So You Can Use It Again
- Is Non-Payment of Council Tax a Civil or Criminal Offence?
- What’s the Difference Between a Debt Management Plan vs IVA?
- How Will a Debt Management Plan Affect My Job?
- What if I Don’t Pay EDF Debt Collection Agency?
- How to Reactivate Your Frozen Clearpay Account
- Can Debt Collectors Take My Car If It’s On Finance?
- How to Clear Debt on Your Prepaid Electric Meter
- Can You Get a CCJ for Not Paying Council Tax?
- Do Black Horse Finance Accept People With Bad Credit?
- How To Move House With Council Tax Arrears?
- What Happens if I Don’t Pay My Klarna Back on Time?
- How to Get Your First Plus Elderbridge Loan Debt Written Off
- How to Get Barclaycard Debt Settlement or Written Off
- How Does an IVA Restrict Your Spending?
- How to Get My Water Debt Written Off? Quick Answer
- Should I Pay Newlyn PLC Baliffs Debt Collectors or Appeal?
- Lowell Telecom Contacting Me about Debt – How to Appeal
- What Happens If You Have Missed a Zilch Payment?
- 4 Tips on Spotting a Fake County Court Business Claim Form
- Can You Be Defaulted Twice for the Same Debt?
- Should I Pay or Ignore SSE Debt Collectors?
- What Banks Accept IVA Customers? Updated List
- How Does IVA Affect Renting a Property?
- Can I Legally Cancel My IVA at Any Time? What Happens?
- Will an IVA Affect My Partner’s Credit Rating?
- How to Appeal Transcom Student Loan & eBay Debt Collectors
- What to do if you Can’t Afford to Live on Your Wage in the UK?
- How to Appeal Allied International Credit Debt Collection
- Attachment of Earnings Deduction Rates – Minimum and Maximum
- How Much Will Debt Collectors Settle For? UK Percentages
- What to do with a County Court Business Centre Claim Form
- Can You be Stopped at the Airport for Debt in the UK?
- Can Creditors See My Bank Account Balance?
- Am I Liable for My Partner/ Ex-Partners Debt?
- Who Sent Me PO Box 300 Northampton NN1 2TX Debt Letter?
- Does a Bailiff Warrant Need to Be Signed by a Judge?
- Can Debt Collectors Follow You to Another Country? UK Laws
- Latest Ways to Check Debt Against a Property
- Can HMRC Take My House in a Joint Name?
- Can My UK Visa be Denied Because of Debt?
- 5 Pros and 5 Cons of Bankruptcies in the UK
- How Many Times Can a Bailiff Visit Your Home?
- How Much Debt is Too Much? Comparison and Levels of Debt
- Should I Pay Rundles Bailiffs Debt Collection or Appeal?
- Should I Pay Equita Bailiffs Debt or Can I Appeal?
- What Are the Grounds for Setting Aside a CCJ? Time Limit!
- How a Satisfied CCJ Affects Your Credit Score for the Future
- Do Bailiffs Work on the Weekends? When Can They Visit?
- What Happens to Tax Debt After Death? Who Deals With It?
- Can You Go Bankrupt with No Assets in the UK?
- CapQuest Debt Recovery Chasing Old Debt – Know Your Rights!
- Do I Pay Elderbridge TV Licence Debt (tvlspp payment)?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Arvato British Gas Debt Collection?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Sky Debt Collectors?
- Should I Ignore Moriarty Law CCJ for Debt?
- What do Clearscore Credit Score Bands (out of 1000) Mean?
- Do I Pay or Ignore Bluestone Debt Collection and Recovery?
- Should I Pay Orbit Debt Collection for Water or Ignore?
- Should I Pay Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Debt Collection?
- Should I Pay or Ignore ACI Debt Collectors?
- How to Avoid Paying Council Tax if You’re Struggling to Pay
- Can Bailiffs Take Pets?
- CCJ Sent to Old Address – Here’s Your Defence
- Should I pay Themis Global Debt Collection and Recoveries?
- Should I Pay or Ignore CCI Credit Management NHS Debt?
- What Happens If I Don’t Pay Scott and Co?
- What Happens if I Don’t Pay a Small Claims Judgement?
- Can I Sell a Car Which is on Finance?
- Should I be Hiding Money from IVA? Consequences if you do
- Harlands Chasing Debt Arrears for My stopped Gym Membership
- How to Close Your Very Account – Hassle Free Guide
- Intrum Debt Collection Chasing Old Debt? What Are Your Rights?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Arc Debt Collectors?
- Should I Pay or Ignore JCIA Debt Collectors?
- Do I Have to Pay Global Debt Recovery on behalf of Cabot?
- What is LC Asset 2 SARL in my Bank Account? Debt Scam?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Merligen Debt Collection?
- Should I Pay Phillips & Cohen Associates Debt Collector?
- Do I Pay or Ignore Oriel Collections HMRC Debt?
- Should I Pay Clydesdale Financial Services Debt Collection?
- Do I have to Pay HMCTS Debt Collection for Historic Debt?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Richburns Debt Collection?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Asset Link Capital Debt Collection?
- Do I Pay or Ignore C.A.R.S Debt (Credit Link Account Recovery)?
- Should I Pay or Ignore my Debt with TNC Collections?
- Can I Ignore My Capital Resolve British Gas Debt?
- Moorcroft Debt Recovery Settlement Figure – How Much To Offer?
- What is eui ltd prem tr on my Bank Statement? Debt Warning
- Should I Pay My Pastdue Credit Solutions DVLA Debt?
- BPO Collections for Sky – Warning Not To Ignore
- Resolvecall Doorstep Visit from Bailiffs? Debt Collection Rules
- Should I Pay Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd Debt Collectors?
- Debt Recovery Plus Notice of Intended Court Action – Guide
- Do I Pay or Ignore Insurance Collections Bureau Debt?
- Hoist Finance Chasing Old Debt – Should I Pay?
- How to Beat BW Legal and Not Pay?
- Do I Have to Pay British Gas Debt Collection Agency?
- Should I Pay or Ignore Wescot Debt Recovery?
- How Far Can the Council Backdate Council Tax?
- Who is Newlands House, Caxton Way, Eastfield Scarborough?
- How Long Can Someone Stay Without Paying Council Tax?
- Who is Elderbridge re: HCA Direct Debit and Should I Cancel?
- Should You Pay Advantis Credit HMRC Debt Collection?
- Should I Pay DRS Debt Collection (Debt & Revenue Services)?
- BPO Collections for HMRC Debt – Warning Not To Ignore
- Who do Lantern Debt Recovery work for? Should You Pay?
- BPO Collections for Virgin Media – Warning Not To Ignore
- BW Legal British Gas Debt Collection – Should I Pay?
- BW Legal Parking Fine Debt Collection – Can I Ignore Them?
- Link Financial Debt Settlement Offer – How Much To Pay?
- Do I Have to Pay Overdales Debt? CCJ Warning
- Can Debt Collectors Find My New Address in the UK?
- Cabot Financial Debt Settlement Offer – How Much To Pay?
- Should I Pay Zinc Group Debt Recovery?
- Who Sent Me PO BOX 795 Telford TF7 9GG Debt Letter?
- Brecon House Caerphilly Letter with Legal Threats?
- Should I Pay JC International Acquisition LLC Debt Collection?
- Do I Have to Pay PayPal Debt Collection?
- Who Sent Me PO Box 17 Stockport SK1 4AJ Debt Letter?
- I’m Receiving Debt Collection Letters for Someone Else? (Answer)
- Who Sent Me PO Box 140 Normanton WF6 1YA Debt Letter?
- Should I Pay CRS Debt Collectors (Credit Resource Solutions)?
- Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd on My Credit Report! Answer
- Who does UK Search Limited Collect For and Should You Pay?
- Who Sent Me PO Box 8743 Bellshill Debt Letter?
- How Much Do Debt Collectors Buy Debt for in the UK?
- Do I Pay LCS Debt Recovery? HMRC and Other Debts
- Is CDER Group Legitimate or a Scam? Can They Force Entry?
- Do I Have to Pay UKSL Debt Collection? Avoid Harassment
- Can I Ignore Trace Debt Recovery Letter? UK Laws
- Do I have to pay IMFS Debt Collection?
- Should I Pay Ardent Credit Services Debt Recovery?
- How Do Debt Collectors Find You in the UK?
- Do I have to pay Opos Limited Debt Collection?
- Do I have to pay CCS Collect Vodafone Debt (CCSCollect)?
- Do I have to pay CCS Collect Debt (CCSCollect)?
- Do I have to pay Indigo Michael Ltd Debt?
- Free Prove It Letter Template – Don’t Pay Up Yet!
- Should I pay Jefferson Capital International Acquisition Debt?
- Should I pay PRAC Financial Limited Debt Collection?
- Do I have to pay Jacobs Enforcement Agents Debt?
- Do I have to pay Arvato Financial Solutions Debt?
- Should I pay Drydensfairfax Solicitors Debt?
- Should I Pay my PRA Group UK Limited Debt? Know Your Rights
- Should I Pay Controlaccount (Control Account Plc) Debt Recovery?
- Do I have to pay CARS Debt (Creditlink Account Recovery Solutions)?
- Should I Pay Arrow Global Debt?
- Do I have to pay Credit Style Debt (CST Law)?
- Should I pay Creditlink Account Recovery Solutions Debt?
- What Happens If You Ignore Debt Collectors? In-depth Answer
What are the best methods to get out of debt?
The best method to get out of debt is to choose the right debt solution to meet your specific needs. There are several which include a Debt Relief Order, or a Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) and Bankruptcy.
However, make sure you don’t hide any assets or money if you enter into an IVA!
Is it better to pay off debt or save money?
You won’t get more interest on savings than you’d have to pay in interest on your debts. In short, it’s better to pay off any debts before you put any money aside in savings.
For example, it’s a good idea to close a Very Account and pay off money owed than to put the money in a savings account.
How can I wipe my debts without paying?
You have several options when you want to wipe your debts without paying. You could apply for either a Bankruptcy Order or a Debt Relief Order. Both are options worth considering when you don’t have any assets to sell or enough money to pay off your debts.
Does being in debt affect my credit score?
Yes, the amount of money you owe will affect your credit score. In short, you should avoid maxing out on credit cards or taking out too many loans.
What Does It Really Mean to Be Debt-Free?
Being ‘debt-free’ means you owe nothing to anybody. Plus, you will remain debt-free if you pay your credit card balances off every month.
“It will only get worse” 😩
It’s cliché to say, but with debt it’s true; the longer you leave it, the worse the problem gets.
There are straightforward and effective ways to deal with debt, but you have to know your options.
Fill out the short form to find out about the debt solutions that could reduce your monthly payments or even write off some of your debt.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Then check out all our other posts!